Being from the coastal region, fish was a big part of our food. While growing up, aayi would make the traditional fish dishes like this fish fry, tepla ambat, alle kande ambat, dhoddak etc. But over the years, thanks to TV and internet, our food has been influenced by other cuisines too. This spicy fish fry is one such dish I make very often now.
Whenever we go out to eat in Bangalore, my brother orders masala fry. He also figured out a recipe for that. This spicy fish fry is inspired by that. Then I started adding few curry leaves to it, inspired by Kerala style fish fry. Over the years, I tried many different masalas and realized what we liked the most was the very basic masala that aayi uses. I just skip the rava coating, add few curry leaves and it tastes just out of this world. I have tried this with many different varieties of fish – salmon, tilapia, king fish, pomfret etc. It really works well with any big fish fillet. I prepared this when I was in India couple of months ago. Aayi told me she also makes it same way – may be a mother-daughter thing :).
Spicy Fish Fry
- 4 big fish fillets king fish, pomfret, salmon or tilapia
- 1 tbl spn tamarind do not use extract, it does not make thick paste
- 4-5 big garlic cloves if using smaller variety available in India, use about 8-10
- 1 tea spn chilli powder use more if you can handle the heat
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Make a thick paste of tamarind, garlic, chilli powder and salt.
- Apply the paste to fish pieces and leave it for atleast 30mins.
- Heat a tava and spread a little oil.
- Cut curry leaves in few pieces.
- Spread half of the leaves on the tava.
- Keep the marinated fish on the curry leaves.
- Spread remaining leaves on the top.
- Fry from both sides till the fish is cooked through.
- Serve hot with lemon and onion rings.
5 thoughts on “Spicy Fish Fry”
What do you mean by extract?
The tamarind extract available in Indian stores. It has the pulp removed
I tried ths 2day.. it came out really gud.. my husband really lovd it..
This is my favorite
Thank you for sharing…
As a Bengali fish is what I best can have.. Especially yummyy fish fry..