Daali thoy(dalitoy/dalithoy) is the first recipe learnt by all konkani people when they start cooking. It is simple daal with chilies, ginger, asafoetida etc. This is a must in almost all Konkani functions and festivals. May be one of the very important comfort food. The traditional recipe does not call for coriander leaves, but I like this dish with coriander leaves.
Some places, like in South Kanara, ginger and turmeric are not added. But in North Kanara usually both of them are used for this dish.
- 1 cup toor dal
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 inch piece ginger
- A pinch turmeric powder
- Coriander leaves optional
- 2 tspn ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 tea spn mustard seeds
- 1 red chilli
- A pinch asafoetida
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Cook dal in pressure cooker with a pinch of turmeric, green chillies and finely chopped ginger. Typically it gets cooked in 3 whistles.
- Heat the cooked dal with salt.
- When it starts boiling, take off the heat.
- Garnish with finely cut coriander leaves.
- Heat ghee or oil.
- Add mustard.
- When mustard starts popping, add curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add asafoetida.
- Pour this seasoning over the cooked dal and close the lid.
- Serve with hot rice, ghee and lemon.