Few days back, one of my reader had requested for this recipe. So far I have tried making many types of prawn/fish pulavs. But I always loved this delicious prawn pulav from my Aayi. It is very simple to make, yet amazingly tasty. When we were kids, my brother and I always loved this. As we grew up, somehow this pulav was forgotten, though we still can feel the taste of green pulav, peas pulav. Few days back, when I was talking to her, she mentioned this. I was very hesitant to try it because of my previous experiences with not-so-great-tasting prawn pulavs. But now I am happy that I tried it. It is much easier to make and very tasty.
Pulavs are not very popular at my native. People do not consider them as a ‘meal’. But aayi and my maternal grandmother made pulavs very frequently. We loved them then and we love them now.
Prawn Pulav (Sungta Pulav)
- 15-20 prawns shrimps
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato chopped
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 " piece ginger
- A pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tea spn coriander powder
- 3/4 tea spn chili powder
- 3-4 strands coriander leaves
- Cook rice (each grain should be separate. Pulav does not taste great when it becomes mushy).
- Heat oil, fry onion, finely chopped (or grated) ginger till they turn slightly brownish.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, chopped tomatoes, salt and fry for a 2-3mins.
- Add prawns and cook till they are done (or cook prawns separately and add).
- Take off from heat.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add cooked rice mix well.
- Serve hot.