I have been baking a breads/pizzas a lot these days. Mainly because I feel they are very easy to make. I usually make pizza base at home, use half immediately and freeze the remaining, which I finish within a week. Making the base does not take long time. Once the base is ready, it is just few minutes work to put together the pizza. Recently, I started grilling the pizza instead of baking it.
I skip the sauces and just add cheese and vegetables on it. This is something I had watched on Food Network. Grilling the base makes it very crispy, the way I like it.
Pizza dough(store bought pizza base can also be used)
Cheese – mozerrella or Italian 3 cheese combo (parmesan, asiago, romano)
Roll the pizza dough into desired size and thickness.
Heat the grill to high temperature. Sprinkle some olive oil. Now keep the rolled pizza base on the grill and reduce the temperature to medium. After few minutes, flip the pizza base.
Now spread the cheese on it.
Then spread the vegetables, salt, chilli flakes.
Cover the grill with a foil (optional, this helps to trap the heat and cheese melts faster). Take off the heat when the base is done.
PS: – Keep all the toppings, cheeses ready and near the grill. Once the base is flipped, you need to work very fast to add all the toppings, otherwise the base gets done and the cheese does not get time to melt.
– Sauce can be added before the cheese if required
– The toppings do not get cooked well by this method, so if you like, stir fry the toppings for few minutes before adding it to pizza
– Do not make the base very thick. This method works best for thin crusted pizzas.
– Do not cook it on high flame, the base gets eaily burnt. So keep it on medium flame.
– It takes few trial and errors to get the base and temperature right.