My almost 6 years old goes through food phases where he wants to eat same thing over and over again, after few days he is completely done with that dish. I try to enjoy the excitement while it lasts!. Right now he is in chicken-chapati phase. Anytime I ask him what he wants, that is what he says. I try to keep a check on it by making it once a week and not more. So I thought it was time to post this chicken in tomato gravy recipe.
My almost 2 year old is in terrible-twos. So making anything elaborate is hard. So I pick dishes (or come up with dishes) that take as less time as possible. This is a very simple chicken gravy I have been making from last few years. It literally takes 20mins to make (not including marinating time).
|Chicken in Tomato Gravy|| |
- 1 lb (approx ½ kg) chicken
- 1 cup onions
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 tea spn grated(or crushed) ginger
- 1 tea spn grated(or crushed) garlic
- 2 tbl spns yogurt(curd)
- 1 tea spn cumin powder
- 1 tea spn coriander powder
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- A pinch turmeric
- 1 tea spn chilli powder
- 3-4 cloves
- 2" cinnamon
- 2 tbl spns chopped coriander leaves
- Add little salt, chilli powder, yogurt(curd), turmeric to chicken pieces and leave around for 30mins (or more).
- Heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon.
- Then add onions, ginger, garlic, salt (chicken already has salt, so be careful while adding more here).
- Fry till the onions and translucent and then add all dry masalas - cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Fry for few minutes till nice aroma comes out. Take care for to burn them.
- Add the tomatoes and let them cook till they are mushy.
- Now add marinated chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour about 1 cup water, cover and let it cook till chicken is done.
- Take off the heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatis or rice.