Ishaan started going to Kindergarten few weeks ago. I was a bit stressed about him going to new school right after coming back from India. On the first day of school, I went to have lunch with him, totally prepared to bring him back home if he was too tired. He assured me he was fine and I can pick him up after school. I came home relieved, thinking he is grown so much that he can handle it.
I send him lunch every day. I stress about does he have enough time to eat? can he open his lunch box? did I forget to pack his spoon etc. I asked him to get help from some grown-up in opening the box. Now he says he asked first couple of days but now he can do it all by himself (he takes food in a thermos and it is hard to open it sometimes!). He is a slow eater and if there are friends around, talking and then running out to play takes higher priority!. Now that he has settled down a bit, I ask him what lunch he wants in his box, so that he is excited about eating.
Last week he asked for pulav. At home he loves pulav/biryanis with yogurt or raita. But eating yogurt with it at school would be too much to ask. So I decided to make it with less spices but packed with nutrition and flavor. This carrot pulav was a perfect fit. I packed it with a big dollop of ghee for him. Even my 1 and half year old loved it.
Add garam masala, fry. Then add rice, carrots.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tea spn freshly ground ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 " cinnamon stick
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- Wash basmati rice, drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee and add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom.
- When they are fried a bit, add onions, ginger-garlic paste, green chilli paste.
- Fry till the onions are translucent.
- Add garam masala and fry for few minutes.
- Add basmati rice, carrots, salt and fry for 2-3mins.
- Now pour 2 cups of water, cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with dollop of ghee or raita(optional).