In North Kanara, people grow pumpkins in their gardens. So the leaves & stem of pumpkin is also used for this dish. This is one of the dishes, that was must in all temple meals(devla javan). I am a great fan of this dish from my childhood.
|Pumpkin-Peas Masala(Dudde randayi)|| |
- 1 cup pumpkin pieces
- 1 cup dried peas (soaked overnight) or black eyed beans or toor dal(cooked)
- ½ tea spn jaggery(optional)
- ¾ cup fresh/frozen coconut
- ½ tea spn tamarind extract or 2 kokum pieces
- 4-5 red chillies
- 4-5 Teppal(Sichuan pepper or Jummana Kayi)
- Grind coconut, jaggery(optional) and red chillies(If tamarind is used, grind it with this masala). Cook pumpkin and peas(or dal) separately. If they are cooked together, pumpkin cooks faster and becomes like a paste.
- Mix all other ingredients with masala & cooked pumpkin, peas or dal (If kokum is used, add it to the masala at this stage). Cook for 10 minutes.
Please read my post on teppalto get more information about Teppal. If pumpkin leaves are used, toor dal is used instead of peas.