“Sagle” is a Konkani dish with coarsely ground coconut, urad dal, coriander seeds masala having some kind of vegetable in it. This is a sweetish spicy side dish. I think this is also called as Sukke in some places. Eggplant sagle is one of the favorites at my home.
Gulla is a special kind of green eggplant available mainly in Mangalore. This is very popular among Konkanis. Taste wise, it is almost like any other eggplant. I use normal eggplant for this Sagle here. The main vegetable used for vayngana(normal eggplant)/gulla sagle is eggplant, but drumsticks and sugarcane pieces can also be added to this dish. I used eggplant and drumsticks for this.
Sagle can also be made with bhindi, this version is called bhende sagle.
|Eggplant in coconut sauce (Vayngana/GuLLa Sagle)|| |
- 2-3 cups chopped eggplant/gulla
- 1 cup drumsticks(optional)
- 1 cup sugarcane pieces(optional)
- 1 and ½ cups grated coconut(fresh or frozen)
- 1 and ½ tea spns urad dal
- 1 tea spn coriander seeds
- 4-5 red chilies
- 5-6 curry leaves
- ½ tea spn tamarind extract (or 2-3 pieces of normal tamarind)
- ½ tea spn mustard seeds
- 1 tbl spn jaggery
- After cutting the eggplants, put them in water for at least 5-10mins. Discard the water.
- Heat oil, fry coriander seeds and 1 tea spn urad dal till dal turns slightly brownish.
- Grind them with coconut, tamarind, red chilies, jaggery and salt to a coarse paste (do not make the paste too smooth).
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds and remaining urad dal.
- When mustard starts popping and dal becomes slightly brownish, add curry leaves.
- Fry for sometime.
- Now add the vegetables, 1 cup water and cook till the vegetables are ¾th done.
- Add the ground paste and cook till the vegetables are completely done.
- Serve hot as a side dish with rice.