Few months ago, our friend Mahi had invited us for dinner and she made this lauki raita along with many Andhra special dishes. I had never tasted this before. After coming home, I googled it and I realised it was a pretty popular dish. This is my version.
Bottlegourd or lauki is one of the vegetables I buy during almost every trip to Indian store. It was mostly used to make this khadi(burfi) or payasa when I was growing up, I loved these dishes. Now I mostly make savory dishes with bottlegourd. This raita goes very well with chapatis or rice.
Bottlegourd Raita (Lauki Raita)
- 3 cups 1 medium sized bottlegourd bottlegourd pieces
- 1 cup thick yogurt curd
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tea spn urad dal
- 1 red chilli optional
- 4-5 curry leaves
- A pinch asafoetida hing
- 1/2 tea spn mustard seeds
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When they start popping, add hing, curry leaves, red chili cut into two pieces.
- Add the bottlegourd pieces, green chilli slit into two pieces.
- Pour 1/2 cup water and cook. I pressure cooked it for 2 whistles.
- Once it is cooled down, add curd(yogurt), salt.
- Serve immediately with chapati/roti or rice.