While growing up, we ate lot of dried beans. Of late, beans have become side lined in my kitchen. I am trying my best to bring them back to table. One of my favorite legume was black eyed peas – we called them alsande. I loved dishes like alsande randayi, padwale randayi etc that my aayi made. I make these very often now. Recently I started experimenting with alsande, combining it with other vegetables to make new dishes. One such dish is this beetroot – black eyed beans sidedish. We liked this so much that it has become very regular now.
Beetroot - Black eyed peas Sidedish
- 2 cup beetroot pieces use thick stems and leaves also
- 1 cup black eyed peas alsande
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tea spn mustard seeds
- 3-4 green chillies
- 2 tea spns chopped garlic optional
- 1/2 tea spn cumin powder
- 1/2 tea spn coriander powder
- A pinch turmeric
- 1 tbl spn fresh/frozen coconut
- Heat a little oil and add mustard seeds (I directly make this dish in my pressure cooker).
- When they start popping, add curry leaves, green chillies, garlic.
- Now add chopped beetroot, black eyed peas, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric, salt.
- Add 1 cup water and cook for about 3 whistles.
- Serve garnished with coconut.