Green onions or scallions or spring onions or Kande patti is a seasonal and loved delicacy in my hometown. My dad loved it a lot and aayi would make kande tambli whenever we found this in market. Few years back, I sat down with V’s grandmom to collect some of her signature recipes. Kande patti vade was one of the recipes she shared with me. She passed away two years back and I am grateful for the few recipes I saved from her. I loved her enthusiasm in cooking even during the old age when she couldn’t move from her place, let alone cook. I rarely buy kade patti but this dish kept popping in my head and I thought of finally making it. The vadas turned out to be delicious and even 7 year old loved it.
Soak toor dal and rice in water.
Cut spring onions. Fry coriander seeds and red chillies.
Grind with coconut, dal and rice. Then mix spring onions.
Make small balls and roll in rava.
Shallow fry on a hot tava.
Spring Onion Vada (Kande Patti Vade)
- 1 bunch spring onions kande patti (1 cup chopped approx)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen coconut
- 1 tea spn coriandder seeds
- 3-4 red chillies
- 1 tbl spn rice
- 1 tbl spn toor dal
- A small piece tamarind
- 1 cup rava/sooji
- Chop spring onions into small pieces.
- Soak rice and toor dal in water for about 30 mins.
- Heat a little oil and fry coriander seeds, red chillies.
- Grind them with coconut, tamarind, toor dal, rice without adding too much water. The paste does not have to get very smooth.
- To the paste, add chopped spring onions, salt and mix.
- Make small balls, roll them in rava to completely cover it.
- Heat tava, spread some oil and fry the vadas on a medium low heat.
- Serve hot.