Nagli or Kane or Lady fish is abundantly available in the river near our home. So we get very fresh ones in the market. It is considered as one of the “clean fishes” as it does not have too many bones. It is easy for digestion, so when we introduce fish to babys, we start with nagli. We make few different dishes with this fish. This Nagli Ambat is one of them.
Lady Fish Gravy (Nagli Ambat)
- 7-8 pieces of lady fish/nagli
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 cup fresh/frozen coconut
- 4-5 red chillies
- A piece of tamarind
- 1/4 tea spn turmeric
- 1 tea spn coriander seeds
- 2 green chillies
- Remove scales of lady fish and clean the fish.
- Heat a little oil and fry coriander seeds, turmeric.
- Grind them with coconut, tamarind and red chillies to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil and fry onion till they are brownish.
- Add the coconut paste, green chillies slit into two pieces and salt.
- Add little water to make it a thick gravy.
- Slowly slide in the fish and cook till they are done.
- Serve hot with rice.