Summer in our region brings a lot of seasonal fruits like mangoes, jackfruits etc. We have few jackfruit trees in our backyard and during season, the trees give so many fruits. Jackfruit is eaten ripe, cooked into curries (both ripe and upripe), chips and lot many dishes. During season, we take out the seeds, which we call Bikkand in Konkani, dry them and use them in variety of dishes throughout the year. These Bikna vade are sweetish, spicy vadas that go well as a sidedish with rice and any curry.
Unpeeled and peeled seeds. The wheatish skin is not edible. So peel it off and discard.
Cook the peeled seeds and grind with all other ingredients.
Make small balls, roll them in rava and shallow fry them.
Jackfruit Seed Vada (Bikna Vade)
Spicy, sweetish vadas made from cooked jackfruit seeds.
- 12 jackfruit seeds
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen coconut
- 5-6 red chillies
- A small piece of tamarind
- A tea spn coriander seeds
- 1 tea spn jaggery
- Cook the seeds with a little water in pressure cooker.
- Heat a little oil and fry coriander seeds.
- Grind them with coconut, red chillies, tamarind, jaggery, salt, with very little water.
- At the end, add jackfruit seeds and grind coarsely.
- Make small balls out of the mixture.
- Roll them in rava and fry on hot tava.
- Slightly press them to make vada shape.
- Fry both sides on medium-low heat.
- Serve hot as side dish.
7 thoughts on “Jackfruit Seed Vada (Bikna Vade)”
Interesting recipe 🙂 Love jackfruit seeds . Must try . Thanks a ton 🙂
Even we bengalis use javkfruit in a variety of ways both in ripe and unripe stages. Nice recipe. One question. Without besan or eggs, does this mixture have a chance of dessembling??? Please reply
Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe with us.
Interesting…never thought about jackfruit seeds would be useful too. I will must try this dish. Thanks for sharing this wonderful dish item.
Nice Blog, really helpful for Jackfruit Seed Vada. Thanks for this blog.
I like all your recipe and have tried many of them, they are easy and cooking is done very fast. This recipe Bikanda vade is new to me and waiting to try it.