I usually get a huge pack of mixed greens from Costco that gets used enthusiastically for few days. Since it goes bad quickly, I try to make few different recipes – this also makes sure we consume all of those greens in two-three weeks’ time. This Mixed Greens Khichdi is one of those dishes. It tastes great, it is a one-pot dish that comes together quickly, it is healthy, so it checks all the right boxes.
I prefer making this dish in InstantPot because I can start the dish and walk away. But this can be easily prepared in a normal pressure cooker – I prepared it pressure cooker before I bought InstantPot.
You can make this Khichdi with just spinach or with a combination of few different greens. I have tried both and it comes out great with any combination. I have used masoor dal here, but this can also be prepared using moong dal.
For the paste
- Grind mixed greens with green chillies, garlic, ginger, water to a smooth paste.
- Wash rice, masoor dal.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they start popping, add cumin seeds.
- Add onions, salt, fry till the onions soften a bit.
- Add rice, dal, fry for few mins.
- Now pour in the ground masala, 4 cups water, goda masala or garam masala.
- Close the lid and cook – if using instantpot, cook on rice mode. If using pressure cooker, cook for 2 whistles.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more water (optional).
- In a separate pan, heat ghee.
- Add curry leaves, hing, cashews. Fry for few mins.
- Pour this seasoning over pongal.
- Serve hot with some ghee, pickle and curd/yogurt.