Mushrooms was one of the favorite things to eat when I was growing up. I haven’t been using them much lately. Last week I saw a pack of beautiful pack of mushrooms and I impulsively bought it. I wanted to make something different. I prepared this spicy Mushroom – capsicum gravy. It was so good, V sent a message to my family whatsapp group saying “the best bhaji with chapati in the history of the universe” lol.
I thought that deserves a post on the blog!.
Mushroom - Capsicum Gravy
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup capsicum green bellpepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup onion cut into big pieces this will be ground in paste
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 red chillies
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander stems I use the thick stems that usually go waste
- 1 tea spn goda masala or garam masala
- 1 tea spn coriander seeds
- 1 tea spn chopped ginger
- 1 tea spn chopped garlic
- A pinch turmeric
- 1 tbl spn desiccated or dry coconut
- Wash and chop mushrooms into big pieces.
- Chop capsicum into big pieces.
- Heat oil and add coriander seeds.
- Then add onions, ginger garlic.
- Fry till they are translucent and then add goda masala or garam masala, turmeric.
- Now add coconut, fry for few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cook till they are mushy.
- Grind the mixture along with coriander stems to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil and fry mushrooms for few minutes (I think this step enhances the flavor).
- Take them out and fry capsicum for few minutes.
- Take them out, in the same pan, heat oil and fry onions.
- Then add mushrooms, capsicum and ground paste, salt.
- Add water depending on how thick/thin gravy you need.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with rotis/chapatis.