Few days back my friend Mahi had invited us for dinner and she made a delicious mango dal. It reminded me of the big batch of frozen mangoes I had bought from Costco. It was another purchase on the whim. I never made anything with them. I usually make mango dal using this recipe. This time I wanted to try something different.
When I started making it, I remembered a big batch of roasted fenugreek(methi) seeds powder that aayi made for me when she was here last year. I was supposed to consume that batch after Ayaan’s birth. I religiously did for a while, but there was only so much time left for myself after taking care of a 4 year old and an infant. Most of the days I was happy to put a decent meal on the table and find enough time to sit and eat. So the fenugreek powder stayed there. I used it in this dal and it elevated the taste of this simple dal. I have made this once every week since then. Even the boys enjoys it very much.
Mango Dal (With Fenugreek/Methi)
- 1 cup toor dal
- 1 cup mangoes sweetish ones
- 1 tea spn red chilli powder
- 1 tea spn roasted fenugreek methi powder
- 3-4 kokum pieces or 1/2 tea spn tamarind extract
- A pinch turmeric
- 1/2 tea spn mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Roast fenugreek seeds (without oil) till a nice aroma comes out. Make a powder and keep aside (this remains good for a long time when stored in airtight container).
- Cook toor dal with mango pieces, turmeric in pressure cooker (about 3-4 whistles).
- When pressure cooker is cooled down, mash dal with the back of the spoon.
- Add enough water to bring to required consistency.
- Add chilli powder, fenugreek powder, salt, kokum(or tamarind), boil it for few minutes. Take off the heat.
- Heat a little oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they start popping, add curry leaves.
- Pour the seasoning over dal.
- Serve hot with rice and ghee.