For a long time I have been hearing about the electric pressure cooker Instant pot. Although everyone that owns it had all the positive feedbacks about it, I wasn’t very inclined to add another gadget to my already over-crowded kitchen. But then during Thanksgiving sale, my friend gave me that last nudge and told it was on a sale. She said I am never going to get it at that price. I gave in and bought it. The big attraction for me was the steel inner pot. Since then I have used it a lot, prepared all kinds of dishes in it. This Spinach pulav with Coconut milk, loaded with vegetables and paneer was one of the first dishes I tried making in Instant pot.
I am trying to include more greens in our diet. Spinach gets added to pulavs, chapatis, bread, soups, gravies etc. This time I wanted to use up some beetroot and paneer, so I added them to pulav along with spinach. Coconut milk gave a very mild taste to it. This pulav came out so good that I will have to make this regularly.
Spinach Pulav with Coconut Milk
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 cardamom
- 2 tbl spns cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes I used green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped beetroot
- 1/2 cup chopped paneer
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- For paste:
- 1 tightly packed cup of spinach
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tea spn ginger
- 1 tea spn garlic
- 4 green chillies
- Wash rice in water and remove all water (I just put it in a sieve).
- Make a paste of spinach and other ingredients under paste, do not add too much water.
- Heat oil and add cloves, cardamom.
- Add onions, cashews, fry till onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes,fry for few minutes.
- Now add the paste, garam masala and fry till some of the water is absorbed.
- Now add rice and fry well.
- Add peas, beetroot, paneer, green beans, salt, mix.
- Then add coconut milk, 3 cups water, cook till rice is done.
- Serve hot.