Life has gotten so busy for me with a full time job and two little kids. Somedays I find it very hard to cook anything. I have been freezing food a lot, whenever I cook, I make the double the quantity and freeze half. So these become my weekday dinners. But once in a while – atleast once or twice a week, I make something different. It is my way to enjoy my favorite thing – cooking. Few days back, I prepared this delicious spinach cashew chicken curry.
I make this same dish with paneer or eggs instead of chicken sometimes. Black cardamom gives it a great aroma. Spinach base gives a healthy thick consistency. It goes so well with chapatis or rice.
- For the paste:
- 3 cloves
- 2 " cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tea spn coriander seeds
- 1/2 tea spn fennel seeds badishep
- 1/2 cup onions
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- For marinade
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 tea spn chopped ginger
- 1 tea spn chopped garlic
- 1 tbl spn plain yogurt curd
- Other ingredients
- 1 lb 1/2 kg chicken
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup onions
- 2-3 black cardamom moti elaichi
- Marinate chicken :
- Make a paste of coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger, garlic.
- Add the paste, yogurt(curd) and little salt to chicken pieces and leave it aside for about 30mins.
- Make the masala paste:
- Heat oil and add cumin, cinnamon, fennel seeds, coriander seeds.
- Fry a bit and then add onion and fry till they are translucent.
- Add garam masala and fry for few mins.
- Then add tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Add spinach leaves and a let them wilt a bit.
- Make it into a smooth paste.
- Make the curry
- Heat oil in same pan and add black cardamom and onions.
- Add cashews, followed by marinated chicken.
- Fry for few minutes and then add the masala paste, salt.
- Cover and cook till chicken is done.
- Serve hot with chapatis/rotis or rice.