It was over a year ago, one of our neighbors had invited us for dinner. She made a chicken gravy with mint which was so good that I still remember the taste of it after a year. I meant to try recreate it, but never got to it. Finally I made it last week and it was so tasty. I don’t she followed the same recipe, I pretty much made it up.
Marinate chicken pieces and keep aside.
Fry the ingredients for the paste and grind them.
Heat oil, fry onion, ginger-garlic paste and then tomato paste.
Add chicken, then mint, paste and cook till done.
Chicken Gravy with Mint
- 1 lb 1/2 kg approx chicken
- 1 cup onion
- 2 tbl spn dessicated coconut
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- 1 tbl spn cashews
- 2 tea spns ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tea spn coriander seeds
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tbl spn tomato paste
- 1 tea spn chilli powder
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- Apply salt, 1 tea spn ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder and leave aside for 30mins.
- Heat oil and add coriander seeds.
- When they are fried, add onion, red chillies and fry till onions are translucent.
- Then add coconut, cashews, fry till the coconut turns brownish.
- Add garam masala, fry for a minutes.
- Grind to a smooth paste, keep it aside.
- Heat oil and fry remaining onion(add little salt), ginger-garlic paste till onions turn brownish.
- Add tomato paste, fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add chicken and fry for a minute.
- Then add chopped mint, already prepared paste, a little water, cover and cook till done.
- Serve hot with chapatis or rice.