My brother and his family hired a cook two years back, after they had a baby. Since my brother is a great cook himself (and a hard critic), when he says something I feel like I should taste it immediately. Few months back he said he likes the chicken dishes prepared by his cook. Then when my parents were visiting them, they noted down the recipe of few of the dishes. This chicken curry with onion-tomato paste is one of them. It is very simple to make and tastes delicious. By the way, I have run out of ideas for recipe names!.
Make a paste of onions, green chilli and tomatoes.
Heat oil and add whole spice.
Add onions, ginger garlic paste and cook. Add marinated chicken.
Add spices and beaten yogurt.
Add chili powder, paste.
Cook till done.
Chicken Curry with Onion-Tomato paste
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 and 1/2 cups onion
- 1 cup tomato
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tea spn chilli powder optional
- 4 cloves
- 2 " cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom
- 2 tea spns ginger-garlic paste
- A pinch turmeric
- 4-5 strands coriander leaves
- Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, a little salt and 2 tbl spn yogurt to chicken pieces and keep it aside for 30mins.
- Heat a little oil and add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom. When a nice aroma starts coming, add 3/4 cup onions, 1 tea spn ginger-garlic paste to it and fry till translucent.
- Now add the chicken and fry for few minutes. add garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Make a paste of 3/4 cup onion, green chillies, tomato to a paste and add it to chicken pieces, mix well.
- Beat the yogurt well and pour it in chicken. If necessary, add the red chilli powder.
- Cover and let it cook till chicken is completely done (you can cook in pressure cooker, I just cook on stovetop).
- Garnish with coriander leaves(optional). Serve hot.