Have you caught up with Kale craze yet? I have been reading about Kale so much in blog world and watching it on TV regularly these days. First time I tried making something with Kale, no one wanted to even try it. I tried few different things and this soup is one dish that we all enjoy very much. I make these kind of hearty soups regularly for V’s and Ishaan’s lunch boxes. Even the little one enjoys few spoonfuls of these soups.
Wiki says – Kale is a vegetable with green or purple leaves, in which the central leaves do not form a head. It is considered to be closer to wild cabbage than most domesticated forms of vegetables.Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. Kale is a source of two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin.Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties.
This soup is derived from white bean vegetable chili that I posted a while ago.
Kale and White Bean Soup
- 1 cup white beans
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 tea spn chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tbl spn lemon juice
- 1/2 tea spn coriander powder
- 1/2 tea spn cumin powder
- 1/4 tea spn pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock or chicken stock
- Soak white bean in water overnight.
- Remove the thick center stems of kale and chop into small pieces.
- Heat little oil and add onion, celery, carrots, ginger and fry for few minutes. (I make this directly in pressure cooker).
- Now add kale and fry for few seconds.
- Add soaked beans, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt.
- Pour in water or stock, pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- When it is cooled down, add lemon juice, pepper.
- Serve hot.