My 7 year old is a very active little guy who loves to run around entire day. I have tried giving him healthy food, but he is not great when it comes to eating. The other day I was discussing about healthy snack bars with a friend. I have to make an honest effort hereafter to make energy packed snack bars for him. But as a first step, I thought of making some cupcakes for him, which I could give him after school. The dates almond oats cupcakes came out so good, I had to note down the recipe.
My initial plan was to make dates cake. But then I thought cupcakes would be more interesting for them. I started modifying the recipe to make it little bit more wholesome. I added almonds, oats and butter, since he definitely needs some protein and fats in his body. I used mejdool dates which are quite sweet, so reduced the sugar amount. Finally used wheat flour (chapati atta) instead of all purpose flour for some more added nutrition. My 3 year old was helping me make these, so I asked him to add some chocolate chips. They loved the cupcakes, I think I am ready to make a second batch soon(when I can find energy and time).
Dates Almond Oats Cupcakes
- 16 mejdool dates use any kind
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup oats regular kind
- 1 and 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 tea spn baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 rd cup wheat flour
- Cupcake liners
- Chocolate chips optional
- Take the dates(after removing pits), almonds and oats in a bowl. Add milk to it.
- Heat it for few mins till the milk is warm (I microwaved for 2 mins).
- Grind to smooth paste (does not have to be too smooth).
- Now add melted butter and mix.
- Then add sugar, baking soda, flour, mix well.
- Line the cupcake pan with liners and fill them to about 3/4th.
- Top with chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven at 350F for about 10mins.
- Bake for about 30mins or till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Store in air tight container