We were in Belgaum in December and we visited pachi (aayi’s sister). As usual, she had a feast planned for us. I have so many memories associated with her food that I can clearly feel the taste just by looking at the dishes. When I saw her making these, I did a happy dance. These are a variation of Maddur vadas. She said these are usually made with bhajani flour, but she had just mixed a variety of flours she had on hand. We all loved these spicy mixed flour vadas so much that I wanted to make them after coming back home.
I pretty much used all kinds of flours I had in my pantry. I also wanted to spice it up, so I added a little garam masala and chilli powder. These are crispy, spicy and delicious. I served with coconut chutney.
Spicy Mixed Flour Vada
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup each oats flour wheat flour, gram flour(besan), sooji, corn flour
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 tea spn chilli powder
- 1/2 tea spn garam masala
- 1/2 tea spn cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 tbl spn coriander leaves
- 1 tea spn butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- Mix all the ingredients(except oil) in a bowl. Make sure the mixture is not too thick or too loose.
- On a thick plastic(or just use palm of your hand), apply a drop of oil.
- Take a ball of the mixture and flatten it out. Make a whole in the center.
- Heat oil and deep fry the flattened discs.
- Serve hot with butter or coconut chutney.