Bittergourd has become a latest addition to our diet. Whenever V does shopping at Indian store, he invariably picks up few bittergourds. They have pretty short shelf life, so I have to use them up quickly.Karathe kismuri is the only dish I end up making with it since we love that dish so much. Recently, whenever I fry bittergourd to make this dish, both V and Ishaan keep eating the fried pieces as it is, before even it gets into any dish!. I prepared Aayi’s karathe nonche last time. I was looking for something different again, so I tried this.
I got these small thin potatoes – fingerling potatoes a while back. They taste great roasted just with some garlic and chilli powder. Any potatoes can be used, but these give a nice bite to the dish. A generous squeeze of lemon takes this simple dish to a whole new level. This dish tastes great when made spicy. Serve with rice and simple dal for a comfort meal.
|Spicy Bittergourd-Potato Fry (Karathe Batate Talasani)|| |
- 2-3 bittergourds
- ½ lb potatoes (about 2 cups when cut)
- 1 tbl spn lemon juice
- 1 tea spn chilli powder
- ½ tea spn cumin seeds
- ½ tea spn garam masala
- Cut bittergourd into thin pieces and apply salt.
- Heat little oil in a thick bottomed pan (I use cast iron pan) and fry bittergourd pieces till they are crispy and almost black in color.
- Wash the potatoes well and cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Add the potatoes, cumin seeds to the bittergourd and fry till they are tender (do not add water, fry on low flame).
- Add the spices, a little salt, mix well.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, mix.
- Serve hot.