My new year resolution is to eat/cook with more vegetables. The problem I face with this is, I buy lot of vegetables in a week and then they sit in fridge and pass their prime time. This weekend, after a very long time, I prepped all the vegetables – washed them, cut them into pieces, dried them and stored in boxes/zip lock bags in freezer or refrigerator. This is helping so much in fast cooking during weekdays and I hope this will also bring down the wastage. Now I have to figure out something similar with spinach(palak). I buy big box of baby spinach from Costco. I make dal, paratha etc with it, but still have some leftover. Last week I prepared this palak paneer with almond paste. I called it palak paneer, because it had palak and paneer!. This is probably the closest to the classic palak paneer that my family will eat. I made it quite spicy, the way we like it.
Many years ago, on a cooking show I had seen the addition of kasoori methi (dried fenugreek) to Palak paneer. I followed the same to give it a bright methi taste. This is by no means traditional palak paneer (calling it a palak paneer may be a stretch!)n- I made it to suit our taste buds. Check Anita’s Palak panir or Manisha’s Palak paneer posts for authentic versions.
|Paneer in Creamy Spinach - Almond gravy|| || |
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 big tomatoes (about 2 cup chopped)
- 1 tea spn freshly made ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup onion
- ½ tea spns cumin seeds
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 tea spn garam masala
- 2-3 green chillies
- ½ tea spn coriander-cumin powder
- 8oz(227grms) paneer cubes
- 1 tea spn kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add tomatoes to it, after about 3 mins, add spinach.
- Switch off the heat, let it sit there for a mins.
- Take the tomatoes and spinach in mixer bowl along with green chillies and grind to smooth paste.
- In the same water, add almonds and boil for 4-5mins (I use them with skin).
- Grind the almonds to a paste (I made a coarse paste for some texture).
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Then add onion, ginger-garlic paste. Fry for few minutes.
- Add garam masala, cumin-coriander powder and fry for 2 mins.
- Now add the ground spinach paste, salt and cook.
- Crush the kasuri methi slightly with fingers and add it to the gravy.
- Add almond paste and then paneer cubes. Cook for 5-6 mins.
- Serve hot with rotis/chapatis or rice.