Cucumber is called “Taushe” in Konkani. “Taushe hulel” is a side dish which is usually a part of meal that is offered to god during festivals. I saw a similar dish here, the only difference being, we use the cucumbers (used for salads) and everything is used raw.
So this dish can be prepared in just 10mins :).
This dish is a must in Shri Krishna janmashtami festival meal. During this festival, men chant different names of Lord Krishna and offer tulsi leaves to god. After the chanting, which almost goes up to 2-3 hrs, pooja is performed around midnight. During the pooja, a variety of food is offered to god and we used to eat this “prasad” at midnight.
Cut cucumber into pieces. Fry mustards seeds and asafoetida in a little oil.
|Cucumber chutney (Taushe huLel)|| || |
- 2 cups cucumber pieces
- ½ cup fresh/frozen coconut
- ½ tea spn mustard seeds or a pinch of asafoetida
- 3 to 4 green chilies
- A small piece tamarind
- Heat a little oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they start popping, add asafoetida. (Usually either mustard or asafoetida is used. I normally add both)
- Grind them with coconut, green chilies, tamarind, fried mustard to paste using very little water (like chutney consistency).
- Add the cucumber pieces, mix well.
- Serve as a side dish with rice.