Summer in our region brings a lot of seasonal fruits like mangoes, jackfruits etc. We have few jackfruit trees in our backyard and during season, the trees give so many fruits. Jackfruit is eaten ripe, cooked into curries (both ripe and upripe), chips and lot many dishes. During season, we take out the seeds, which we call Bikkand in Konkani, dry them and use them in variety of dishes throughout the year. These Bikna vade are sweetish, spicy vadas that go well as a sidedish with rice and any curry.
|Jackfruit Seed Vada (Bikna Vade)|| || |
- 12 jackfruit seeds
- ½ cup fresh or frozen coconut
- 5-6 red chillies
- A small piece of tamarind
- A tea spn coriander seeds
- 1 tea spn jaggery
- Cook the seeds with a little water in pressure cooker.
- Heat a little oil and fry coriander seeds.
- Grind them with coconut, red chillies, tamarind, jaggery, salt, with very little water.
- At the end, add jackfruit seeds and grind coarsely.
- Make small balls out of the mixture.
- Roll them in rava and fry on hot tava.
- Slightly press them to make vada shape.
- Fry both sides on medium-low heat.
- Serve hot as side dish.