Wish you all a very happy and colorful Holi. The festival of color is around the corner and I could not think of a better sweet than this Bottlegourd halwa or gardudde halvo. Aayi prepared this for us during Diwali and it was so delicious.
Bottle gourd was rarely bought at home when we were growing up. I would almost always ask aayi to make burfi(khadi) from it. I could eat it anytime. This is definitely an easier version of the same. Then we started hearing about the health benefits on TV. Ever since then I have been using it regularly. I normally make a quick dal or some spicy dish from it.
|Bottlegourd Halwa (Gardudde Halvo)|| || |
- 2 cups grated bottle gourd
- 1 cup milk
- 1 and ½ cup jaggery
- 1 tbl spn cashews(optional)
- ½ tea spn cardamom powder
- Peel, remove seeds and grate bottle gourd.
- Cook cashews and grated bottle gourd with milk. (It looks like the milk curdled but that is the expected result.)
- When all the milk is absorbed, add jaggery.
- Cook till jaggery is all melted. Mix it well.
- Take off heat, add cardamom powder , mix well.
- Serve warm or chilled.