From last few days, I am reading about this event in different blogs. But never actually thought what I would write if someone tags me. This ‘event’ (or rather a meme) was started by The Traveler’s lunchbox and I am tagged by Meeta.
If I have to pick up some dishes which I want to eat before I die, they would be anything from this list. But then, I eat them frequently and It’s kinda become normal. So let me write something else. I am writing a lot about my mother’s food which is infact my first preference, but for this post, I will choose one entry each from my mom’s kitchen, from my state Karnataka, my country India, the continent Asia and one from the other part of the world.
1. Bread fruit is my all time favourite vegetable. We make a variety of dishes with this vegetable and anything with this vegetable in it tastes heavenly. We have this tree in our garden at my native. We use this vegetable to make fries(phodi), different side dishes, chips etc all of which are my favourites.
2. I have never tasted Ragi -mudde. This is the main food for atleast 30% of people from Karnataka. Being a cooking freak, I would not wait so long for any dish, but somehow I feel I have waited very long to have a Ragi-mudde. Never got a chance to eat it. (Read Ragi-mudde recipe from Madhu).
3. Pani puri is one of the most popular chaats in India. Every state has it’s own way of making this. I love all the different varieties I have tasted so far. Every major city in India has these Pani-puri stalls. (The traditional Pani-puri recipe followed at my home is here).
4. Samarkand is a very popular Afghan restaurant in Bangalore. A fantastic ambiance and feels like entering a cave. All the waiters wear the traditional black Afghan costume. After getting seated, they give you a small newspaper, you start wondering and start reading assuming that it would be an Afghan newspaper. But actually it is their menu . The food is just superb. I have eaten only twice there, but I can never forget the taste. (When you are coming out of the restaurant, you will find a big hole in your pocket since this restaurant is pretty expensive ). Everything I tasted here, from dry chicken dishes, curries to Biryani were amazing.
5. I loved all Mexican dishes that I have tasted so far. The Tacos, Chalupas, Burritos, ChipotleBurrito bols etc. I wish to go to a proper Mexican restaurant sometime and taste more of their dishes. I even tried reading a book on Mexican food culture and recipes, but the names of the dishes were something too difficult to remember. I am sure once I taste them, I will never forget the names.