≡ Menu

Baby Food

After I had baby, I have been getting a lot of requests for baby food. Many readers are asking for those traditional recipes which are fed to babies from many generations in India. I haven’t prepared anything special for my baby so far, accept this baby food. Ishaan is almost 8 months old now and I pretty much feed him what we eat, I usually cook one side dish daily that he can eat. I rely on Earth’s best/Gerber baby foods, rice cereals etc when he is at daycare.

My parents sent the ingredients of this baby food. Aayi collected this recipe from a cousin – Aditi, who has a small baby. Usually this can be fed for babies of age 6 months and up. It has proteins in the form of dal and also Ayurvedic roots which are good for health. Because Ishaan does not take cow’s milk yet, I just make it in thick paste and feed him with spoon.

Most of the ingredients here, are very common day to day ingredients.

Vayuvilang(Vidang) is added to food for it’s medicinal properties. It helps in getting rid of gas and worms. It looks a lot like peppercorn. It is also added to gravies many times to avoid gas.

Baje or Ekkand is sometimes mixed with water and applied to baby’s tongue, people say that it helps in learning to talk early (Bhashe evche in Konkani).

Ashwagandhi is a root with medicinal properties.

Ingredients for powder:
1/4 kg basmati rice
200gm moong dal
125gm parboiled rice (ukdo tandul/matta rice)
125gm wheat
60gm finger millet(ragi/nanchno)
50gm toor dal
50gm dried peas
2 almonds
15gm pista
1 piece ashwagandhi
1/2 tea spn vayuvilang
1/4 tea spn fenugreek seeds
1/2 tea spn cumin seeds
3 black raisins(sukkil drakshi)
1 small piece baje(ekkand)
2 peppercorns
1 small nutmeg(jaiphal)
2 cardamoms
1-2 dry dates (uthuthi)

Method:
Keep all the ingredients for a day or two under hot sun.
Powder them and store in a air tight container.

While Feeding:
Heat 1/2 cup water. In a bowl, mix 1 tea spn of powder in a little cold water to remove any lumps and add it to boiling water. Keep mixing with a spoon to avoid any lumps. When the mixture thickens (it turns a lighter color), take it off heat.

You can add a little salt or sugar to it while feeding the baby.

I add a drop of molasses(liquid jaggery/pattal god) to it while feeding. Sometimes I mash up a banana or some other fruit mix with it for the sweetness instead of adding molasses.

If the baby takes milk, add enough milk to it and feed (like a drink).

Important Notes:
– Doctors here in US advice against giving any dry fruits to babies under age of 1 because some babies can have severe allergies to them. So be very careful.
– If one or more of the ingredients is not available, leave it out and try with remaining.
– Sugar (or molasses) is good to avoid for infants. In my case it is the only way I can get my baby eat this. I just add a drop of it to get my baby eat it. I want to leave it out completely as soon as possible. Add fruit whenever you can instead of sugar/molasses.
– As per doctors here in US, whole milk cannot be given to babies under age of 1. In India, cow’s milk was fed from a very young age. So add milk if your baby takes it, otherwise feed as it is.

Very important note : After all it is your baby and you know what suits your baby. So use discretion while feeding this.

I will post some more pictures of it when I can, it is very hard to take pictures with a small baby in one hand!!!. Since I was getting many requests, I thought of atleast posting the recipe.

Sharing is caring...Share on Facebook21Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest3Share on TumblrShare on Google+6Email this to someone

{ 133 comments… add one }

• Neetha December 12, 2010, 7:57 pm

Hi Shilpa,
    Thank you for posting this recipe.. I have been searching for some authentic Indian recipes to be fed for infants.
    Your efforts are greatly appreciated.. :)
    Neetha

• Sowmya Venkatesh December 12, 2010, 11:13 pm

thanks for sharing this Shilpa….
    feeding babies after 9 months is really a tough job…(atleast for me….as my 11 months old is really picky about what she eats)
    it will be a nice alternative from gerber…

• Aparna Mallya December 13, 2010, 4:30 am

I know what you mean! My toddler comes running and attacks the food whenever I try to take pictures.

Yr post is very informative.

• Amarnath December 13, 2010, 4:57 am

Hello,
    vayuvilang to me looks like kebabchini, or cubeb pepper or Java pepper, or even tailed pepper…
    usually added to kebabs and saalans with meat…slightly bitter in taste?

• Shilpa December 13, 2010, 9:03 am

Thanks a lot Amarnath. But as others mentioned below, the name of the herb is Vidang(embelia ribes)

• Sridevi December 13, 2010, 7:12 am

Hi, Its very nice that u have posted this recipe. Till what age this baby food can be given.

• Shilpa December 13, 2010, 8:52 am

Sridevi, I know my friend’s 3 year old daughter still drinks this mixed with milk. So I think you can give it till the baby/kid takes it.

• Smita December 13, 2010, 8:28 am

Dear Shilpa,

Would like to update on some things. In India too cow’s milk is discouraged for babies. Infact 2 parts of water are added to cow’s milk are added before feeding babies for thinning the fat . Infact my relatives in USA give full cream milk to babies. Sugar is bad for all ages, but not molasses. It has a high iron content and can be consumed by any one not suffering fron diabetes. Don’t U remember that babies are fed with “rava bol ” in India wchi contains sugar. Infact U will very soon realise that going by USA doctor’s instructions U will very soon realise that U have a fussy baby as tastes have not been introduced at young age. The universal fact remains that all food in moderated proportions are always good for every one !!

• Dr.Sameena December 13, 2010, 8:41 am

Nice recipe dear…My dauhgter is 22 months now…she loved mashed bananas,apples,potatoes…didnt make anything special for her…Thanx for the recipe…:)

• chitra December 13, 2010, 8:48 am

Nice healthy food. will tell this for my sis :)

• Priya Sreeram December 13, 2010, 8:49 am

really good one ! loved the thought behind the post !

• Arun Shanbhag December 13, 2010, 10:56 am

THank you for this beautiful post. We have been giving Meera a similar concoction. This has been truly positive for her health and her development has accelerated. Out recicpe is slightly different with a larger portion of Raagi – African millet which we all know is very high in nutrients and iron. Will share our recipe in a few months once M gets here.

Many thanks
    Arun

• Shilpa December 13, 2010, 11:32 am

Waiting for your post Arunanna.

• Jayshree December 13, 2010, 12:25 pm

Hi Shilpa,

I think by Vayuvilang – you meant – embelia ribes.
    Here are few weblinks which talks more about it:

I have also heard from my Mom that Vavding (that’s what we call it in Gujarati) is very helpful to babies.

• Shilpa December 13, 2010, 12:33 pm

Thanks Jayashree. I will find out if it is same.

• H December 13, 2010, 7:54 pm

Recipe must be good for babies, I cant comment on that, but I am truly stunned at your dedication to this blog – photography and posting with a 9 month old! Kudos Shilpa!

• Dr.Anagha December 13, 2010, 11:45 pm

Hi shilpa,

post is very good n informative.
    vavding is embelia ribes, n in Ayurveda , it is used as carminative n anthelmentic mostly for tapeworms.
    And it is very useful for Toddlers being picky eaters.
    u can get more info on this link

• Usha December 14, 2010, 1:33 am

Dear Shilpa…. Here is my version of baby food…. I have used almost all ur ingredients… but instead of powderingthem directly… I use to dry roast the grains (except nuts and ayurvedic herbs) saperately till It gives good aroma (be careful it shouldnt get black or burn).. then make powder… daily I use to boil the water and put this powder disolved in water( just to avoid lumps).. and boil it for 2 mins switchoff the gas cover with lid keep it aside… while feeding add milk(for babies younger than 1yr add baby formula like enfamil or similac …once they cross first yr or if they are OK use regular milk)… My baby use to love this food because of the aroma… try with roasting.. and for Vayvinang Sanskrit name is VIDANGA (http://www.ayurveda-recipes.com/vidanga.html).
    Thanks for posting…. Have fun with Ishaan.

• shilpa December 14, 2010, 9:06 am

Thanks to everyone who gave the English/Sanskrit translation of Vayuvilang. I appreciate it.

• hema March 14, 2011, 6:20 am

Nice recipe!!!

My baby has completed 5 months. Could I feed him this? I want to introduce semi solids to him. Till now he is taking only mothers milk. Suggest.
      Thank you.

• Shilpa March 14, 2011, 9:29 am

I would suggest starting this at 6 months, that is what I did

• Shwets December 14, 2010, 4:12 pm

Hi Shilpa, I have been following your website and love the vegetarian recipes you post (I am a vegetarian). I have just started blogging today :) and would love so see your comments.

• Medha December 16, 2010, 7:48 am

Hey shilpa

Just wanted to let you know that the search function in your website is not working. You can’t search recipes if you put the name or the ingredient.

Medha

• Shilpa December 16, 2010, 8:42 am

Yes Medha, we are aware. Will work on it once we get some time

• SK December 19, 2010, 12:12 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe shilpa.This would be good to give my son other than the regular eatrth’s best/gerber products.
    Can you also please let me know how you started with homemade food for your baby? My son is 8 months old too, doc told me I can start giving him our food but I generally make ours spicy , so never gave it to him.Do you add salt/chilly/garam masala etc or do you make food bland for your baby? Also do you add oil/ ghee or make it very dry? I don’t know if babies so young can digest all our indian spices.Does your son eat this 3 times a day now?Thanks so much in advance Shilpa.

• Shilpa December 20, 2010, 9:22 am

Sk, I started with cooking vegetables like sweet potato, carrot, peas, butternut squash (just one at a time) and making paste of it. He did not care for it long and it was very hard to make a smooth paste in such a small quantity. I was not comfortable with making it in advance and freezing it. I started giving him Earth’s Best (as it is Organic). Now I make simple side dishes with carrot, butternut squash, sweet potato and give it with rice. I mash it up well with a spoon and feed him. I usually don’t make it too spicy when I want to feed him. I also give him a taste of sambar/dals that I make, in very little quantity. I also give him idlis/dosas whenever I make them. He loves upma too. My son eats 3 times a day – Morning rice cereals (on weekends when he is at home, I feed him some of our breakfast). Afternoon he eats Earth’s best vegetable(again, if he is at home, I feed our food, if he refuses, only then I feed Earth’s best). Night I feed him either our food(if I have made something that he can eat) or Earth’s best vegetable or fruit. He loves banana. So I feed him fresh banana many days. I feed this babyfood atleast twice a week mixed with either a fruit(or Earth’s best fruit) or if I don’t have any fruit at home, I use jaggery.
      I want him to get used to both kinds of food, so I try to feed him both our food and ready to eat baby food. I will be posting some of the recipes that I make for him, so keep visiting. Hope this helps.
      I use very less ghee/oil in my cooking – like one tea spn for a side dish. So I don’t think that is too much.

• VASUDHA SHENOY December 20, 2010, 5:44 am

wow!! great recipe.. my daughter is 18months old who is very fussy wen it comes to eating.hope she eats wen i give her this. thanks a lot..

• Roopashree December 22, 2010, 2:47 am

thank you. But it is very difficult to feed the toddler. they want to it themselef. My dr has adviced me dont fed them alone. make sure that kids shd hav food with parents.my daughter 20month old now a days i m giving her food in small plate and spoon.she eat half and another she throw it. but she enjoying it, in food i m preparing khichiadi, pulav(less masala) mixed flour pan cake. chapti and milk,sugar, ghee.etc

• sk December 23, 2010, 10:27 pm

Shilpa, thanks a ton! OMG you are such a sweet person.This is really helpful :) Thanks again!

• Vijeta December 25, 2010, 7:18 am

Hi Shilpa
    I am vijeta, tell me one thing dear r u a goan, bcoz i think u knows konkani, I had a son he is just 13 months old, if I try something new cereals/food he just start vomitting (not everytime) why is it a so? Even I told my doctor but he said its a natural. Will u pls help me wat else to feed him.

• Shilpa December 25, 2010, 10:52 am

My baby used to spit up a bit when we tried anything new too. We were told that their system takes a while to adjust to new food. If he threw up a lot, I would stop giving it and try again after a month or so. If it was little, then I would try the same again for next couple of days and he would be fine. This is the reason we start one type of vegetable or fruit and give the same daily for a week before trying next one.

• AD December 25, 2010, 9:07 am

My baby has colic. I have some Vidanga / Vavding seeds. Can someone advise me how and in what amount to add them to her formula, please? Like do I add some seeds to the water we boil for her formula? How many seeds? Thanks!

• rhea January 1, 2011, 11:03 am

cow’s milk is not encouraged for babies under 1 as it may make them more prone for eczema / wheezing /allergies etc .Even in India , Paeds give the same advise .Regarding avoiding sugar , better for their teeth ,also reduces the chances of childhood obesity.Someone has mentioned that US medics’ advise can turn the kids to “fussy pots”.I totally disagree with that , as a medic myself , I think it is better to follow the evidence based approach rather than making a fuss when people come up with new ideas or suggestions .I have worked both in India and abroad and I feel there is no harm in embrassing the good things in the western society.

• Deepti January 3, 2011, 5:13 am

Hi Shilpa,

I guess you might already know this, but just thought of checking, just in case you missed it due to the difference in cuisines we have across India.

One very easy to make and tasty food for kids is khichdi (I have a 7 month old who just loves this). You can use moong dal as that is easier for kids to digest and add onions, tomatoes, carrots and 1/2 tsp of sambar powder. Even grown ups can eat it :)

• Anjali January 3, 2011, 4:59 pm

Hi All,

I see a lot of confusion here about feeding stuff to babies. I know each baby is different but at the same time they are just a part of the family and they can eat all that you eat with the exception of cow’s milk, egg whites, peanuts, honey and fish( in the US ) under 1 year. This definitely is a gradual process though.

You can start feeding solids to your baby at 6 months. You can start with something like applesauce(lightly steam apples and puree them), rice kanji water, mashed banana, vegetable soup/puree, nachni, boiled and mashed potaties, almond paste etc in very small quantities. Gradually you can start giving khichdi as Deepti has mentioned. Do soak the rice and moong dal before cooking though and make it soft so that the baby can eat. You can add a bit of salt, very little pepper powder and a drop of ghee to it. Some veggies can be added as well. As far as possible make this soft enough so that the baby can eat it as is.( without pureeing ) That way they know how to slowly start chewing. First 1 or 2 days would be a little tough.

At 9 months, the baby can eat 1/2 egg yolk and also chicken if you are a non-veg. This chicken soup for babies is filling and so yumm that even adults can eat it.

Starting 10 months, you can give your regular home-made food to the baby minus the red/green chillies. Garlic, ginger, onions, black pepper could be added for flavor. That way they don’t get sick of eating the same bland stuff and its easier for moms as well as you don’t have to cook something special after some long hours at work.

This is a great website too

Hope that helps.

• Janki January 15, 2011, 12:28 am

Hi Shilpa,
    I’ve been following your blog for quite sometime now, but this is the first time I’m commenting.
    Thank you so much for the baby food recipe. My baby is now 9 months old & I’d been struggling with what food to carry when I’m out(since I’m currently on vacation in India). I’ve been using the baby food for a couple of weeks now & my Baby absolutely loves it. I make it like upma by giving it kadipatta & mirchi phodni. It is easy to carry around & not too messy too.

Thanks a lot
    Janki

• Shweta January 19, 2011, 1:51 am

Hi Shilpa,

Just had one question.Do we need to wash the Ragi and Dals and then dry it in sun or just keep it under hot sun of 2 days as it is.

• Shilpa January 19, 2011, 8:46 pm

If the lentils/ragi have any dirt in it, you can wash it and sundry, otherwise not needed

• ananthapadmanabhan January 29, 2011, 8:44 am

My daughter is 20 months old and not eating any solid food except kurkure items. She is taking only liquid foods and no breast feeding. She got almost all teeth. Suggest some idea

• Shilpa January 29, 2011, 10:11 pm

Please follow my FB page and also, keep checking this site. I will post some more recipes soon

• Srilakshmi October 13, 2011, 6:17 pm

Hi Shilpa,

I have tried many recipesfrom ur website and all turned out be fav for my family.I have a 11 month old baby and i give him Ragi ceri which is homemade but its quite time consuming and patience but very healthy for babies.In Karnataka a lady prepares Ragiceri and ship to anywhere in India.Please mail cerisiri@gmail.com to place an order.I bought this time 1/2 Kg Ragi ceri for 200rs +Shipping charge of 30 Rs.That box i used for almost 2 months..my son just loving it.Please contact them and encourage a woman.

• Vaidehi November 11, 2011, 5:38 am

Hello,

I like your all recipe, my daughter is 1.5 year old she dont like food specially rice she ran away please give me some tips

• Dr anjali November 27, 2011, 5:40 am

Hi. Thanx for your efforts to give advice about weaning.
    Just wanted to clarify few things.
    The reason why cow’s milk is avoided in babies under
    6 months is because their digestive system can not tolerate
    It and can’t digest it. It can lead to eczema, allergies and diarrhea.
    Sometime it is advisable to follow doctor’s advice
    Which is based on newer research.

• reena March 19, 2012, 7:21 am

Hi Shilpa,
    Sorry the link in the previous comment was broken, posting again.

You have an amazing site. I was drawn to this post as it appears there is lot of confusion about what to feed babies. It is not very difficult to give homemade food to babies, if you have some time.
    Most babies like fruits and mashed bananas, cooked apple, pear can easily be given.
    Rawa or suji is also given to baby and is easily digestible in the form of Halwa or upma.
    Khichdi is complete meal which can be given to baby.

I got lots of recipes and info on feeding baby and toddlers in below link :

Baby Recipes

• shanthala March 29, 2012, 3:48 pm

Hi..
    Currently min US n i dont have Baje or ekkand. Can anyoneplz tell me where can i get that here in US? i wnat to give that to my baby.so plz help me

• Shilpa March 29, 2012, 10:11 pm

Sorry, don’t know. I got it from India

• dr monika tripathy April 10, 2012, 5:55 am

hai shilpa my baby is 2 yrs old n from around 1 month he is troubling a lot in eating anythng he just wants milk n foods like chips kurkure n all,i had tried every thing i can giving him taunics n all but still no progress even he sleeps a liitle n disturbs me at night also pls suggest me food recepies n some tips which can help him sleep a more

• Shilpa April 10, 2012, 1:40 pm

My son is also going through same phase. I have heard it is usually the case around 2 years of age and then it gets better. Right now, I do not have any suggestions as I am struggling to get my son eat & sleep :(. Hang in there, it will get better.

• sandhya adiga June 1, 2012, 2:50 am

Hi Shilpa,

Thanks for the baby food you have mentioned. I have 1 1/2 year kid and i do it slight differently from yours. I add rice, wheat, greengram, Ragi, badam and i will clean and fry it rather than drying it under sun. when you powder it we get good aroma and can be kept for 6 months.

It really tastes good!!

• Veena June 6, 2012, 12:24 am

I have a 1 yr old baby. She was premature born at 8th month with 1.5 kg weight. At 1 yr she weighs only 5.2 kgs. As such she is very active and trying to stand now, but weight gain is very slow. All tests are normal and no problem has been diagnosed. she puts on only 300gm in a month. She eats very less quntity and has frequent vomitting. happily she takes 5-6 bites, after that forcibly 2 more and anything more than that she vomits. Her food includes cerelac, ragi+rice+wheat powder, badam/utati powder, rice+dal , papaya, banana, upma (not all in a single day though) Do you know any receipes that can boost her weight gain?

• Shilpa June 6, 2012, 4:04 pm

I think if she is meeting her milestones and she is healthy baby, don’t worry about weight. My son is very underweight too.

• Veena June 6, 2012, 11:57 pm

Oh is it. btw I am from Karwar. Stoped eating non-veg (fish) a few years ago. But when I see your receipe I get tempted sometimes :) This site is ausum.

• Punna Rajini Mohan June 28, 2012, 3:14 am

Its Very Good receipe, Ill have to try this,

• Ankita Kamat August 6, 2012, 2:18 pm

Hi Shilpa,

What exactly is the peas you mentioned in this recipe? is it hurigadale (chana dal) or something else?

• Shilpa August 7, 2012, 9:08 am

No, it is the whole yellow dried peas (vatane). For the picture above I crushed it using mortar and pestle

• Deepali August 13, 2012, 4:04 am

Hi Shilpa, Thanks
    This kind of recipe i am searching for my baby
    Plz tell me how often this food recipe i should give to my baby in a Day.

• Shilpa August 13, 2012, 9:49 am

I started with once a day around 6 months. You can increase it slowly if needed.

• sowjanya September 9, 2012, 12:32 am

this is an excellent informative to all people

• Anupama September 9, 2012, 6:49 pm

How long can this be stored and fed to the baby?

• Shilpa September 10, 2012, 1:13 pm

I used it for about 4-5months

• Anupama September 9, 2012, 6:50 pm

Thanks for the recipe :)

• rachita September 24, 2012, 2:20 am

i really liked this recipe of urs..i think i wud be really nutricious.i was wondering is there any place where we can get the powdered ingredients ready.i stay in kolkata.do reply back.

• Ranjitha September 24, 2012, 8:46 pm

Hi,

Could you please let me know if we get ragi in US?

Regards,
    Ranjitha

• Shilpa September 24, 2012, 10:00 pm

You may get it in Indian store or Whole Foods, not sure

• rupali wagle October 8, 2012, 2:48 am

hi Shilpa , Thanks a lot for the wonderful n nutritious reciepe!!! My son is 13 months old n is a very picky eater . He was born 3.25 kgs n at his 1st bday weighed only 9 kgs . He walks comfortably n babbles Mumma n pappa n lots more, Can u please suggest some more recipes for breakfast , lunch n dinner n some in between snacks for a 13-14 mnth old . It will be a great help ……I m based in UAE . thanks !!!!

• Priya November 2, 2012, 2:23 pm

Hi Shilpa,

I came across this recipe and very curious to know the purpose of this food. Is this a traditional Indian medicine to avoid kids from falling sick? And how often they should be fed with this? Thanks!

• Shilpa November 2, 2012, 6:30 pm

Priya, since it has different dals, dried fruits, whole grains, it acts as a very nutritious food for the babies.

• Jyothi November 10, 2012, 1:39 am

Looks like it is worth trying…. Thank you!

• Shilpa November 10, 2012, 9:15 pm

Let me know if you try

• sukanya December 1, 2012, 5:54 am

VERY VERY THANKS SHILPA I WILL TRY MAKE THIS RECIPE TO MY SON

• Rameshwari December 17, 2012, 5:30 am

hey shilpa a superb recipe for my 8 mnth old daughter….just a query, how long do we have to cook the mixture, as to wht consistency? also in india before cooking any dal , rice etc we wash the uncook ings.thoroughly under runnng water…suggest can i first dry roast all the ings. and then WASH IT AND SUN DRY IT…?

• Shilpa December 19, 2012, 9:21 am

First wash them, sundry them and then roast them

• arpana January 21, 2013, 6:57 am

Hi Shilpa, thanks for ur receipe. thanks for mentioning the quantity of of each items properly.But my query is can I increase the quantity of almonds , dry grapes and dates. Also suggest can i add cashew as well.

• Shilpa January 22, 2013, 7:58 am

Yes, you can change the proportions. But first make sure the baby is not allergic to dry fruits

• arpana January 24, 2013, 6:47 am

How will i come to know whether it is allergy ? what kind of allergy baby might get?

• mayuri n desai January 25, 2013, 2:34 am

Hi thanks for the recipe My baby is 1yr and 1 month so i can give this to him , correct. Pls let us know some more healthy food which we can give baby.Thanks.

• Shilpa January 25, 2013, 10:40 am

Yes, you can give it to your baby. There is a category for kid/baby friendly recipes on this site. These are the ones I gave to my baby at that age (yes, he loved pasta and all chunky food).

• ruchika pande February 17, 2013, 1:54 pm

Hi Shilpa, Thanks this seems to be a great recepie can you please let me know what is baje / ekkand ? I am not getting the correct name in Hindi / sanskrit so i am not able to search on google aswell.

• Shilpa February 18, 2013, 3:52 pm

Please click on the link given in introduction to read more about it

• Priya.R.Pai March 11, 2013, 12:05 am

Hi Shilpa,
    My baby is just 45days toddler wen can I start feding this to him? Thanks for the recipe,I ll definately try this

• Shilpa March 12, 2013, 8:39 am

Please ask your pediatrician. I started this at 6 months

• suja March 14, 2013, 10:19 am

hi i am mother of a sweet daughter of 9months.thanx a lot for dis very gud recepie bt i m lil cnfused dat bfore powderng d ingrediants have to be washed..as i m going to prepare dis plz assist soon.thany

• Shilpa March 14, 2013, 7:57 pm

If the dals/ragi has any dirt, then wash them, sundry them and then powder.

• suja March 15, 2013, 2:52 am

thanx shilpa for ur kindness in rplyng bt sorry to say bt i havent washed d whole thng bt dried n powderd it bt den i roasted it,was it fyn..n ctd u plz tel me wil dere be ny colour change in baby stool. thanx

• Shilpa March 15, 2013, 9:32 am

It is fine, you can still use it

• suja March 28, 2013, 12:40 am

hi shilpa
    hw r u? hope u doing gud..can u suggest me a timetable for baby reagarding their meal from morning to night………thanx.tc

• Shilpa March 28, 2013, 9:18 am

For my son, I started with solid one time a day – that is around 7PM (approx 30mins before he would drink milk). Then after a month or so, started with afternoon also. Then morning. I gave the baby food one time, vegetable puree other time and just rice cereals in the morning. Since he was at daycare at that time, afternoon was usually a packed baby food like Gerber. By 8 months, he started eating what we ate.

• suja April 8, 2013, 2:57 pm

THANX A LOT

• John April 23, 2013, 2:14 pm

Is aswagandha safe for babies , and Ayurvedic items u mentioned here?

• suja May 3, 2013, 2:30 am

hi shilpa..
    hw r u and ur family…….shilpa cud u plz help me with as from where to buy whipped cream which i can u use to decorated cake made at home…..i have cake decorator plastic mould…and hw much it can be cost approx…….as which one will be the best as u are a top cook attempting so much things everytime…….
    thanks
    suja

• Shilpa May 3, 2013, 8:46 am

Suja, I live in US and it is available in most of the grocery stores in dairy section. Or you can mix butter and cream to make buttercream which can be used to ice the cake. I use glass/aluminum cake pans to bake the cakes.

• suja May 11, 2013, 12:11 am

thanx shilpa for the rply……ya will be trying that but for that i have to whisk this mixture in mixie………ya i too have aluminium one
    regards suja

• Malini May 27, 2013, 1:18 am

My kids grew up on this porridge mix. Believe it or not, we still use it as an breakfast options for the entire family. Better that all the breakfast cereals available in the market.

• Supriya July 7, 2013, 2:18 am

Hi Shilpa, Thanks for sharing recipe , I was searching this recipe for a long time. I have 13 month old baby and currently she is suffering with loose motion , Can you please suggest any lite diet recipe or home remedies?

• suchismita July 19, 2013, 7:24 am

Hi shilpa.thanks.i have 18 months year baby girl,currently she suffering with vomiting,cold,&cough.she is not intrest in eating food.so pls help me for her diet.

• Shilpa July 21, 2013, 11:53 am

I would suggest giving her liquids and go easy on solids till she feels better.

• Jyostns August 8, 2013, 1:44 pm

Hi shilpa………such a nice recipe ….i will deffinetly try it……thanks

• geetha August 12, 2013, 8:36 am

awesome, i already know the ingredients but i did n’t have the ratio.very very thanks to u.
    can u suggest some other things like that.

• Ashwini October 16, 2013, 4:26 am

Can i use baje for my two years daughter? Will it stimulates digestion n improves hunger? She is a fussy eater n regets everything n she wants to eat only ragi cheri preparation….

• Shilpa October 16, 2013, 4:49 pm

Sorry Ashwini, no idea. This baby food contains baje and we gave this to my child around 8 months. So it should be safe at 2 years.

• rama November 11, 2013, 6:15 pm

hai,my son is 13 months old.can you sent me some tasty healthy food recipes.thnax

• Swathi November 12, 2013, 2:48 am

Hi Shilpa,
    Thanks for your post. I have started giving this food for my 10 months baby. We are mixing this with water and boiling in a bowl for 30 ins. What I have observed is that during eating this food he is getting motion. Is this a common one?

• Shilpa November 12, 2013, 9:11 am

Swathi, is this the first time he is eating solid food? Start in very small quantities to make sure there is no allergies or anything.

• AlishaSharma January 21, 2014, 4:09 am

Hi Shilpa,
    I would like to thank you for the recipe. I was searching for this recipe for long time. I definitely would prepare it for my daughter. My dauhgter is 18 months now, we feed her supplement foods. Also she love mashed bananas,apples & potatoes. I usually buy baby supplement food for her from firstcry.com, a wonderful baby shopping store.
    Check out their supplement food list here: http://www.firstcry.com/formula-and-supplements/2/79

• suja March 2, 2014, 1:31 pm

hi shilpa
    hw r u and ur family…mam could suggest the bestest website from where i get enough knowledge abt weight gain in children..foods which will help me.. my baby is 1and half years
    thanx

• Shilpa March 2, 2014, 7:42 pm

Suja, sorry I have no idea about any such website

• AlishaSharma March 12, 2014, 6:04 am

Hi Suja, I would suggest you a website where you can get all baby foods, firstcry.com. Do check out their website. You will get pregnancy books, baby care and all other useful baby products.

• neelam April 15, 2014, 4:48 am

hi shipa….. hw r u?
    m a mom 7month old baby…. so i need to know some home made recipes… as hz not gaining weight. i have read your baby food recipe… but few things i dont know. so if u have the same type of recipe then plz let me knw.

n i wanna prepare baby cerelac at home.

• neelam April 15, 2014, 4:57 am

help me…. wot food i can give my baby 7months completed today, 8th started.. mujhe aur bhi recipes chahiye.

• Ak April 23, 2014, 3:29 pm

Hi all,

I would like to know when at the earliest can we start feeding ragi ceri to the baby?? Is it ok for a 4 months baby??
    Plz reply

• Shilpa April 24, 2014, 4:48 pm

Please ask your doctor before starting solids. I would suggest starting at about 6-7 months

• Ak April 25, 2014, 4:09 am

Thanku so much..

• Shreya May 7, 2014, 1:41 am

Hi shilpa

That looks like an awesome recipe… surely gonna try !
    Juz a query.. u fed this at 6 mths is it? Also did u give this 3 times a day everyday or only once or twice a week? Can i add breast milk to this food once to cools down to get reqd consistency?

Waiting for ur reply!

Thanks
    Shreya

• Shilpa May 8, 2014, 6:57 pm

Shreya, I started giving it to my son when he was 7 month old. I gave only 1 time initially. Yes, you can mix breastmilk. Slowly you can increase it if you want

• Sonali May 8, 2014, 12:49 am

Dear Sir,
    i am having 12 month old baby & she not taking any think if i feed milk,rise & everything.she just cry,not taking.so please guide me which type of food i will given to her so she can eat easily.

• Shilpa May 8, 2014, 6:59 pm

Please talk to your pediatrician.

• Smita July 11, 2014, 5:32 am

hi shilpa

Thank you very much for posting this very imp recipe…..many people saying many thing and you have compiled it. i am a working women so now it is easier to give a proper food to my lovely daughter.

thanks
    regards

• sheetalnaik July 19, 2014, 1:23 pm

Hi Shilpa. My son is 10 months old and he eats very little so I am worried about him please suggest me what to do. He wants tasty food what shall I make for him. Please reply me.

• sheetal naik August 3, 2014, 5:21 am

Hi Shilpa. Can I give him all of these food which you mentioned in baby kid friendly recipe

• Shilpa August 5, 2014, 11:08 am

Yes give anything as long as baby is ready to eat. Just make sure to introduce new foods one at a time to make sure baby does not have any bad reaction

• sheetal naik August 17, 2014, 2:17 pm

Thank you so much Shilpa for your suggestions.

• ruby September 7, 2014, 1:10 pm

Hi Shilpa,
    for how many days this recipe(powder) can be kept…as if we make and keep it for long will it cause fungus.should we refrigerate it…

• Shilpa September 8, 2014, 10:07 am

If you have dried everything well, then it stays good for long time. I kept it for almost 4-5 months.

• Madhushree M S October 2, 2014, 11:56 am

Hi Shilpa,

I’m so glad to have found your site on traditional baby food recipe. I really appreciate the effort and the thought behind.

There seem to be trouble in viewing the content for the baby food recipe. Could you please share the content of the recipe by email or you can notify me once the issue is rectified.

Look forward to your reply.
    Thanks in advance.

Madhushree M S

• Shilpa October 2, 2014, 11:58 am

Trouble viewing? I can see the content here. Are you using a cellphone to browse? Could you please provide more details?

• Madhushree M S October 2, 2014, 12:02 pm

Yes, I am using my cell phone to view. Also I did try to view on my tab, but since a week I am unable to view.

I was planning to try your recipe for my 7 months son.

• Shilpa October 2, 2014, 12:05 pm

Which phone/tablet do you use?

• Madhushree M S October 2, 2014, 12:34 pm

Nexus 5, Samsung tab 2. Is it possible to mail me the details?

• Madhushree M S October 3, 2014, 10:28 am

I can view the content now. Thanks a ton!!

Regards,
    Madhushree M S

• vino November 2, 2014, 3:45 am

hi shilpa, my daughter is one yr old she intolerent to dairy and gluten.dr adviced us not to use nuts or soy or millets except ragi.i want to try ur recipe with some of ingredients but not sure the ayurvedic items r safe for her.she suffered from severe diarrhoe repeatedly due to stomach infec.later found allergic to foods as well.pls advice me on this.csn this be given at night time too.

• Shilpa November 3, 2014, 11:44 am

I would suggest leaving out the ingredients that she is allergic to and then making it with other ingredients as per recipe. I don’t know much about the allergies caused by the items, sorry.